Thursday, December 14, 2006

Why Blog?

So a friend of mine named Sumit recently posted an entry on his blog by the same title.

So rather than express, in detail, his question all over again, I thought I might make an entry of my own on the topic.

Why do I blog? My very own two seconds of fame? To be immortalised for posterity in the somewhat lame hope that someday, in some future civilization, it might actually be considered good reading material? Or maybe to give an opening to myself to rant about stuff that would just make other people uncomfortable if I tried to tell them about it. There's also the possibility that it gives me an ego boost, "Look Ma, I'm publishing."

I think the main reason that I blog is because I'm bored. It is exciting to find that someones made a comment on my blog, I'll be the first to agree with that. However, I don't necessarily regard myself as a serious blogger, mainly because, if I was, I wouldn't be frequently be stuck with "Bloggers' block".

That said, I am attracted to the devious pleasure of writng somethingthat anyone anywhere can read. Do you think that you'd blog if a blog was private? Might as well keep a journal or a diary, right? A blog is a bit like an Orkut scrapbook. The main pleasure is in keeping it public, saying that I have a voice and that I want to be heard by everyone who cares. There are people I know who don't keep their orkut scraps, and delete them, because it violates their sense of privacy. Stick to email people!

The third reason I'd give is pride :). It really gives me a kick tosee the statcounter counter rolling.

So there you have it Sumit. What's your excuse?

P.S. Yeah, the party was fun. We should do it again soon. Ginger Court tomorrow? It is Thursday night :), and the fish fingers are back.

No comments: