Sunday, February 19, 2006

Clicking on that intelligent button

I often have this conversation with Tum after a few drinks. The topic is: What constitutes intelligence. The one I had today had two entirely new outcomes:
1. I agreed with her for the first time that eventually artificial intelligence will be possible (even if it doesn't arrive). I usually used to get stuck on the point where I argue that no amount of programming can ever create useful or otherwise emotions. Today I agreed that if we make a silicon based "brain" with enough connections, intelligence will automatically become a secondary venture. Infact if you let such a "brain" sit around long enough with basic circuits for getting energy when needed, it will eventually be intelligent because our own brain turned out to be so.

2. I came to the horrific conclusion that since our brain has been the same for the last 30000 years or so, we have effectively had the same intelligence potential for that much time. That means that if someone picked out a baby from those prehistoric times, and raised it here, it would not only survive in the world today, but it would also have the dubious potential to perform in our "intelligent" software industry. Horrors of horrors. You know why? Because that means that what's missing from today's artificial intelligence is a certain 'X' factor that time can certainly bring.

Hmmm, I'm probably not making sense. I'd had this conversation around 2 hours back and I've already forgotten the key points. So much for intelligence, huh?

1 comment:

nkshirsa said...

2 is dubious man