Saturday, March 25, 2006

I contain ALL

I exist. Therefore I exist. Descartes got it all wrong, didn't he? He didn't live in the IT era :).

So here's what I'm cribbing about today: "Extreme Programming". Who the hell thought that it is a good idea for me to write test cases for my code before I wrote my code? I'd rather rot in hell.

No I wouldn't.

Actually, my anger is wrongly directed.

I don't mind being taught a new methodology. I mind being kept close tabs upon. Your project plan template is suitable for building a freeway to the moon. And maybe a few fields will be left blank because they weren't relevant.

If you are so reluctant to read my project plan, maybe you shouldn't read it. I wouldn't mind not getting your esteemed comments. If you want to read it so badly, you should take your time and read it the way I want to present it, not the way you want to read it.

F*** you, I won't do what you tell me! (Almost everyone, esp. Rage against the machine, says so).

I like your project plan because it lists out all the possible things that I might have to say about the project. You forgot my pet cats. They had a couple of meows to contribute.

3 comments:

Sumit said...

“If you want to read it so badly, you should take your time and read it the way I want to present it, not the way you want to read it.”

It’s hugely important for a game developer to pitch a design to a game publisher and get the Mulla to make the design come to life.

This is known as the pitch document, lot of hours is spent making this document better. (Flashy enough to get the focus, brief enough to save readers time, detailed enough to deliver the message).

It said and known because there is so many out there… The publisher does not have time to read you’re Design Bible (Which has everything in it) the way you want to present it, he has just about enough time to read it the way he wants it.

But in this case you can argue and comment that the last guy does not want to read it badly.

Well to be frank there is no one in the world who would want to read your (anybody’s) written stuff badly. And for those few that we do, they are renowned writers; storytellers and we want them badly because they are darn good in doing that.

Storm said...

You obviously didn't really catch what I was cribbing about. That template is detailed enough to fit 17 pages of a word document. And that's just the template.

I understand the purpose. It just makes sure that there aren't things that I've forgotten, but will be relevant. But it goes overboard. Not only that, people at my company are insisting that I use that template, not take ideas or relevant sections out of it and build my own document. So I end up having a document that I myself can't read, f'get anyone else.

The case you mention is entirely different, because you are trying to pitch something to the publisher. You want funding, and would like to do a good job trying write a great document, so that it is most likely to tingle the senses of the person reading it.

My much abhorred template is pure bureaucracy. It probably started out pretty concise and smart, but over the years and projects, people have added things to it that shouldn't be in the template. Think of it as a home page template with sections in it that relate to creating and maintaining an iron ore plant. Someone might need it, but that doesn't justify it being on a homepage template does it.

It is a genuinely badly designed template.

Sumit said...

Okay! so you have a template can you think of a reason why you have one?

Its a measure of your companies limits?