Sunday, March 19, 2006

Singing or something like it

I don't like my voice. Or rather, it sounds perfectly alright when I'm talking, as in through my bones and all, but when I record it and play it back, or if I'm listnening to myself on the phone :D, it sounds nasal and really belies the fact that I'm a big guy.

Other people feel otherwise. Especially this guy I had an accident with a couple of weeks back and I came out of the car all guns blazing and screaming my head off. He was really scared. So I must be hoarse and manly, huh?

But these things aside, its about singing that I want to talk about. I know a few people who can sing quite well (Tum, Fuzzy, Darshana, Parvinder, and a guy in my team(Vishal), not to mention the scores of relatives who prepare to sing at each other's marriages ). I sing okay.

I usually know what note to sing at, and always notice when someone makes a mistake (which is why I love American Idol so much). I also know how fast or slow to sing. I can remember and reproduce vast lengths of guitar solos (Red House rendition by Eric Johnson in G3 Live). But I still maintain that I can't sing. The only time that I think that I sounded well was when my Bullet club had a party in which I sang "Turn the page" and I think it turned out quite well, but that's such an easy song to sing. I'd once tried "It's probably me" and embarassed myself considerably.

I wish I could limit my singing talents to make an appearance only in the bathroom, but sadly it doesn't happen. My only redeeming point is that I'm not completely tone deaf. And that I'm thankful for.

So the next time one of you hear me singing away in my car, or in my office cubicle, please excuse.

No comments: