Sunday, March 05, 2006

Obscene songs

I've come into the posession of six songs that were written and orchestrated by various bands in the enterprising B-schools and IITs. The common factor in all these songs is their inherrent collegeness, and their liberal use of profanity.

To name them, they are: Sabka katega, Ga** mein danda, Nadia, Bhench** sutta, XLRI ki kudiyana, and Yeh 'kundum' hai.

I rather like these songs. They display an amazing penchant for creativity and coolness. So much so that I've put these songs on my mp3 player and regularly play them when I'm in the car.

Funny results have ensued. Like the other day I was at a traffic signal with "Bhench** sutta" playing loudly in the car, and a traffic cop was doing his end of the month rounds to collect his quota of "fines". And just as he was crossing my car (they don't usually bother cars, just the non-bullet bikes), the speakers blared out the final stanza, "bhench** mach** ..." going on and on. He gave me the queerest of stares before telling me to reduce my volume.

And then there was the time when I was late in picking up Tum from college owing to some pain-in-the-a** politician doing his rounds, blocking traffic for his motorcade. And I saw more than a few smiles (and one very stolid stare) from the numerous rickshaws and commuters on bikes as they wandered past my stuck car while it was blaring out "Teri ga** mein danda de". The stolid one had a kid in tow.

But Apurv takes the cake. All through the Friday night rock show, he kept telling me how Indian Ocean was a better band than Parikrama because it had original music. But just when we got back to the car and the chosen tracks of collegeness started crooning their choice of profanity, he was all chaste like a little nun, saying that he didn't like them and to put on something else.

I happily obliged, knowing that originality didn't really figure on the top of his list of criteria for judging bands :).

No comments: