Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Cleaning around the house

So I'd spent the weekend away from home. Coming back on Monday morning I realized what a mess I'd left back. Thus my plans for Monday evening were decided. Clean the apartment!

But coming back in the evening, the letterbox carried some bad news. 2 DVDs from blockbuster.com were waiting for me. So there I was standing in my drawing room, pondering. On one hand I had the littered house. On the other hand, there was the thought of passing 3 hours in relative bliss of moviedom.

Unfortunately, better sense did not prevail. So I watched the movies, and went to bed. So that job had to be done today evening. Besides I'd to prepare something to eat anyways (there were no clean dishes). So the clothes were duly sorted by color and material, and dumped in the washing machine. In went the detergent, and round went the knob. And in my haste, the temperature was not adjusted back (that also explains the blue socks in my earlier post).

The vaccuming went fine, but cleaning out the bathroom was another matter altogether. Twice my incredibly stupid self mopped the floor, and twice I walked across it before it was completely dry, leaving a trail of footprints behind :o. The mop was probably as disgusted as I was, because it was then to be found lurking just outside the door, ready to trip me over as I passed (It probably didn't want to be dunked in a bucket of water a third time). The bathroom was thus duly and appropriately abandoned.

Next came the dishes. There's something about washing dishes that's always a pain in the back. Literally. Add to that the odd one that thinks it has wings and tries to fly out of your hand while you're busy lathering it, and you have one seriously shattered piece of china. All over the floor. In tiny pieces. All over the damn floor!!! Some more floor cleaning. And some more dish washing later, everything was done and I was ready to relax.

And relax I did. Started watching another movie (Heat). And put a bowl of canned beans in the microwave oven. Mine was really clean. The one in office is brown with filth. And I know how that happend. Someone heated a bowl of canned beans in it. By the time I'd paid some attention to the tiny detail on the can that instructed me to cover the bowl lightly, it was too late. More cleaning, wiping and sponging ensued.

But take it from me. The end result is fantastic. The apartment is like new. The bed is made and inviting. And I'm sleepy after my hard day's labour. Goodnight friends. And good luck cleaning yours.

No comments: