Saturday, November 19, 2005

Killing Time

Everyone knows this one. The speed of time is inversely proportional to to its desired rate of passage. Right now I've to kill one hour before my movie comes up. I have a ticket to the 8:30 show of GOF, and I decided that instead of whiling away 90 minutes at the theatre, I'd as well come back home, relax, have a drink and a smoke, and change into something warmer (I also needed to take a crap). I've done all those things. And I still have 45 minutes to wait. So I've made myself a second drink, lit up a second smoke, blah blah blah (no, no second crap).

So here I am, killing time, blogging away. I'll make another entry when I come back, the GOF review. But right now I want to talk about passing time. I remember a nice book by Asimov, called "The End of Eternity". It features a group of people who call themselves Eternals. They are the guardians of human civilization across time, and they live in "Eternity". Nice novel, it talks about how Eternals continuously alter the route that the human civilization takes through time, and one guy falls for a woman in normal time. And how he has to make a change in the time-thread that would cause her not to exist. And how in order to save her, both of them bring about the end of Eternity. And don't worry I haven't told you anything. Check out the book and read it yourself.

So if you like science fiction, you cannot really escape time travel. But you can be reasonably sure that time travel hasn't existed in your particular universe yet. Why? Because your particular universe didn't know 7 years in advance that Dumbledore is going to die in the 6th book. Because in your particular universe no one made a killing in the stock market. Though this Yahoo! story does make you think twice.

Okay, though my time isn't up yet, I think I've bored you people enough. I'll be posting another entry in 3 hours about how great the 4th movie is. Until then, Adios!!!

No comments: