Sunday, November 27, 2005

Up up and away

Did you dream of being a superhero when you were younger? Or even now? Dream of having a car that's closer to that batmobile than the sedate sedan you drive? Or having superpowers that'll enable you to deflect rather than avoid the many 'bullets' you face everyday? Do you dream of saving yourself miraculously from those oversized brawn-and-tattoo-featuring-dopes by turning into something akin the Incredible Hulk?

I did. I'm a different superhero everyday. Whenever I go to bed, more often than not (except when I'm so tired from the ordeal), I find a few moments where I go to la-la-land and dream for a few minutes of ways I'd be able to use to get away from it all.

Its a defence mechanism, I guess. If I rate my days from good to bad on a scale of 1 to 10, it's on the 4 to 6 rated days that I'm susceptible. The better days are too comforting and the worse ones are too tiring to stay awake dreaming for long.

My recurrent superhero dreams? That I'm fit again, like I used to be when I was doing my MCS, or when I used to jog everyday. That I can ride a bicycle again for 25 kms a day without flinching, like it's common. That I can play 4 hours of basketball a day, and still spend the night partying into the wee hours. That I'm on my bike again along that sea side road that haunts my dreams.

Those earlier superhero dreams were the ones that I used to have when I was the superhero that I've stopped being now. Now my superhero is what I used to be.

So the superhero is not fictional. He's just what one can be... Am I not an optimist?

No comments: