Saturday, November 19, 2005

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

First things first, never enter a US theatre with a drink (I never finished the second one) in your blood stream and a huge glass, cup, tumbler (whatever you call it, it was around 1.5 litres I think) of diet coke. Two reasons: One, you won't finish the soda, and two, your bladder won't hold (there are no breaks... I literally had to run for it, and ask where the rest room was!!!).

Okay, with that piece of advice done with, I will continue with a spoiler warning. Don't read further on if you haven't seen the movie yet.

With my conscience clear, I shall continue with the review. The movie is good. As good as it could be, that is. Considering that they have tried to cram a very expansive and comprehensive plot into a two and a half hour movie. It was obvious from the start that they were going to miss certain parts. I've already read some reviews and the general trend seems that those who haven't read the book won't like it because they won't be able to follow the story. Well, I beg to differ. They would be wrong. There's a lot of story cut off. The continuity is however maintained, and for this I have to congratulate Steven Kloves for the screenplay. Like I said, though a lot has been cut off, it looks more fast paced than stuttered. It will hurt the HP book fans more because they think they know what to expect. But they almost haven't shown anything until after the quidditch match. That's almost one-third the book! And for that I subtract a point.

The acting has improved by miles, and though Harry (Daniel Radcliffe) doesn't cry in this movie, I'm sure he's learnt to do it (remember Sorcerer's Stone? :) ). Rupert Grint, in his role as Ron Weasley, does a great job looking like a hurt friend, and though Emma Watson (Hermione Granger) still does manage to look constipated at times, she's pretty good at looking concerned and worried at others (which is the rest of the movie excluding the Yule Ball). But Ralph Fiennes (Lord Voldermort) really makes up for everybody else. He's done his job so well, and the depiction is so good, that some baby started crying in the theatre when they showed his face. The Dark Lord he is. So no points lost for the acting.

The special effects are brilliant. The dragon scene is very fast paced and very well done. I'll have to watch the movie twice in order to watch the dragon more closely, but it looked very believable and menacing though a little smaller than I'd pictured. If you've read the book, you'll remember that the dragon chase takes around minute and a half to get through. Mike Newell (the director) has done a good job with extending the chase, but because of this, the chase isn't what it is in the book (you'll know what I mean when you see it). But it is still well done. The underwater scene is fine, and perfect. The maze is where they take the cake. In the book, the maze is about the size of the quidditch pitch. In the movie it goes on for miles, and you can really see the imagination at work. Though the blast ended skrewts and the sphinx is gone, you don't really miss them, because Lord Voldermort comes in quickly and you don't have time for holding your breath. I personally liked the effects in the "Return of the King" more so special effects lose half a point for the movie.

One thing I sorely missed through out the movie was the spells. They are simply not enough of them to go around. That's really half the magic, isn't it? Personally, I think a lot of time is lost in keeping continuity, so there simply isn't time to show the little bit of side stories that have all the spells in them. From what I can remember, there's Imperio, Crucio, Avada Kedavra, Mors Mordre, Expelliarmus, Accio, Reducto, and the one Harry uses to send out red sparks (I didn't catch what it was, it isn't in the books). They seem a lot, and they probably are the lot that are in the book, but they aren't used often enough. I almost felt cheated. But as I was putting down that list, it seems a lot, and going over the storyline, there's plenty of magic as such. So only half a point lost for making me feel that way initially :).

So over all an 8/10 movie. I'm going to watch it in the dome again tomorrow, and will get a lot more in. But don't worry, no second reviews to bore you people with :). Though I didn't come out with the same feeling as I had when I first read the book (excitement for the next one), I'll have to say that the movie is excellent, and extremely watchable.

No comments: